3.14.2015

Heading to somewhere

I'm going to graduate in a little less than 2 months, and frankly, I have mixed feelings about it. Truth is, I've never been anything but a student. All my life -- from primary to secondary to tertiary -- I've only ever had real academic goals. While sometimes school gets really tough, and on some days I don't feel like I can make it through school sane, I also wonder if the corporate world is really meant for me.


Don't get me wrong. I know for a fact that I don't want to be studying my whole life and I'm definitely not one that goes chasing for my masters and doctorate and all that. It may be for some people, and I admire their desire to learn, but it really isn't for me. For one, I feel that I need to understand real life outside of the one painted (and sometimes overanalysed) in books and journals. I just want to get out there and do it. Of course there are also factors: expectations, and dreams, and the practical world where money is king.

Here's a quote stuck with me from a book I read a few years ago:

What's the right way to go about this time in our lives? Should you do what you love, what's outrageous and unpredictable, and worry about the future later, or plug away at a steady job first and go off and have your fun when you retire?
From: A Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost by Rachel Friedman

Incidentally, that was my struggle after I had graduated from poly years ago. But this time, there's no escaping it.

But is the corporate world really for me? Get a job, impress my boss, work from 9-6, sometimes maybe 10. I guess we don't always get what we wish for in this practical world, and that our dreams (both Husby and mine) may well remain as dreams. It may sound like I'm upset by this but not really. I'm just confused thinking about which path - advertising, marketing, public relations (are these all my options?) -- I should be headed.

For now, I'll just take it easy and see where my opportunities take me. Finish school, finally get my degree that I'm been working so hard for all these years, and start getting my hands dirty testing the waters of the corporate world. One thing is for sure, I don't want to become someone who has lost motivation and meaning in life - like a person stuck in her dead end job but doesn't feel the need to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment